Thursday, January 20, 2011

Minestrone and Lingonberry Bread


Its cold outside, and I haven't posted here for ages, but I am going to try and see if I can stick with sharing what we have for dinner for the next 30 days...here goes with tonight - way too much to do today, with a late swimming lesson for my daughter starting on Thursdays - so I made a winter minestrone earlier, but didn't add the pasta or spinach until we got home - also made some lingonberry bread from a fancy mix I had gotten ages ago... the minestrone recipe is on my youtube site, but its really easy and I vary it according to what I have on hand -

Easy Winter Minestrone
dice up an onion, some carrots, celery and garlic, saute in a little olive oil
add about 6-8 cups of chicken broth (i always use low sodium if its not from scratch)
add a can of diced tomatoes
some dried basil, rosemary, thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 zucchini diced
a yellow squash diced
bring to a boil and then lower heat
add a can of white kidney beans (cannellini) rinsed and drained
then about 20 mins before serving bring to a boil, add 1 cup of ditalini (or other small tube shaped pasta) and 1/2 lb fresh baby spinach lower heat and let cook until pasta is done

add a rind of parm if you have one in the beginning and serve with a little bit of freshly grated parmesan

you can leave out the spinach, add more or less tomatoes, add a diced potato or two, add some oregano, add some fresh parsley, a can of red kidney beans - or even chick peas, and you can always serve it with a big spoon of fresh pesto (either made with basil or parsley)

No comments:

Post a Comment